2021 APWA NEVADA INTERN-FOCUSED SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The Nevada Chapter of the American Public Works Association (APWA) will be awarding scholarships to deserving students in Nevada. This program will assist students in attaining their career aspirations and building a foundation as future Public Works leaders. There are four scholarship opportunities funded by APWA. The Board, through the Scholarship Committee, will make the best selection of scholarship recipients based on application and criteria as described below:
The application deadline is June 25th.
In order to be deemed eligible, applicants must demonstrate the following:
1. A Nevada resident and/or an attendee/graduate of a Nevada high school
2. An entering freshman or currently enrolled in a public works related curriculum (includes supporting and upper division classes in civil engineering or public works policy)
3. A desire to attain a Bachelors or higher degree in a course of study leading to a career in the field of public works or public administration; e.g., architecture, science, engineering, etc.
Scoring (100 points total):
Applications will be evaluated and scored using the following criteria:
1. Application – 5 points maximum (points may be deducted for an incomplete application)
2. Resume – 15 points maximum (points may be deducted for spelling or presentation issues, but NOT for content)
3. College/University student currently enrolled in a Public Works related field (CE, CM, Arch, Geotech, Survey) and not on probation (transcript required) – 20 points
4. Personal Statement – prepare a personal statement explaining the reason for your degree choice and how it relates to career goals within the Public Works industry. Include a summary of your background, interest, achievements, and career goals. Two pages maximum – 30 points maximum
5. Letter of Reference from university teacher, Public Works mentor, or employer in Public Works related field – 10 points
6. Internship in Public Works related field within the past year – verified with pay stub – 20 points
Selected applicants may be invited to an interview by APWA prior to award of scholarship.
Program Timeline & Details:
Scholarship application period opens May 1 and closes on June 25th
Application review begins on June 26th
Award recipient recommendations made by the Scholarship Committee to the State Board at the July meeting
Award candidate interviews – to be held at the discretion of the State Board
Award recipients notified in early August; funds will be dispersed to the successful candidate **request award of scholarship in person for photo opportunity**
Scholarship winners will be announced at the Fall Conference
If you know of potential candidates that you would like to nominate or recommend, please have them fill out the application, prepare the required written statements, and provide the necessary records to the attention of: